Video CV – New device for self-promotion within the labor market
by Rushan Ziyatdinov
A video CV is a brief recording utilized by a candidate to use for a job. It may be used to assist a written utility and never simply change a conventional CV. They are often emailed to potential employers as a video file or printed on a video internet hosting web site like YouTube. Based on the article, “Video CV: Fab or Fad,” printed by journalism.co.uk Portal, some journalists use video CVs to specific themselves absolutely, seize the eye of employers and spotlight their abilities.
Video CVs are usually not new within the Western world, however are nearly unknown in South Korea. In 2010, Forbes launched an article titled “Viral Video Resume Was Potential Employers” a couple of London job hunter that managed to seize the eye of potential employers.
Based on an article printed in The Guardian in 2014, video CVs are an ideal alternative to showcase one’s presentation abilities and they’re finest suited when making use of for inventive or customer-facing roles in gross sales, media, advertising, PR and promoting. There are.
There are various opinions about utilizing video CVs throughout job functions. Whereas some might imagine it is a inventive and modern technique that can provide a bonus over opponents, others will declare that it may be a quick solution to discriminate towards older and non-attractive candidates. Moreover, employers could discriminate towards candidates based mostly on language stage and dialect in addition to pronunciation.
In fact, all of those unfavorable issues associated to discrimination can occur throughout routine job interviews and even on the stage of evaluating candidates’ conventional resumes or CVs. Alas, discrimination towards job candidates on the premise of age, intercourse, nationwide origin, caste, and so forth. has turn into an integral a part of capitalist economies, and readers can discover hundreds of articles and case research associated to it.
In 2020, UK-based Glamor journal printed an article titled “Resume Instagram CV accounts and TikTok movies: Gen Z making use of for jobs within the pandemic.” The journal famous one applicant who used Instagram to create an entire video CV by selecting images showcasing her character and including captions to explain her talent set and experience. Others are selecting TikTok, the platform of alternative for Gen Zs, as an alternative of LinkedIn to share their resumes and create brief movies.
As we all know, many templates might be discovered for creating a conventional CV, a number of the finest templates written in LaTeX markup language might be discovered on Overleaf portal. However what are the methods to develop a video CV? Firstly, one simply wants a smartphone with a superb digital camera, a tripod, an exterior microphone and a superb background. Let me describe in a collection of steps.
1. Costume your self up (hair, make-up, costume, and so forth.), and use an appropriate background and good lighting surroundings;
2. Work in your voice earlier than you begin recording video (a vocal warm-up will not do any hurt);
3. In the event you plan to host your video CV on-line, use a minimal HD decision in your movies, and use the YouTube normal facet ratio of 16:9. Remember that probably the most considered video CVs on YouTube are about 1-3 minutes lengthy;
4. To make sure high quality sound, it’s higher to make use of an exterior microphone or digital voice recorder. Recording audio individually will help you carry out modifying and enhancements – resembling noise filtering – with digital audio modifying software program. Audacity is a well-liked free audio-editing software program title;
5. Some free software program, resembling CadenLive or numerous others, can be utilized for video modifying;
6. In case your video CV is described in a language apart from English, subtitles could also be written in English. This can be utilized as a sign to the employer that the applicant has an curiosity and/or potential within the languages.
Based on Kojokariu et al. (2020), New data and communication applied sciences have modified the method of recruitment and the way in which they entry the labor market. Because of this, a brand new era of managers and corporations are utilizing video CVs as a device to seek out certified candidates or get jobs extra simply.
Video CV facilitates the recruitment course of for employers on the screening stage through the number of candidates. This permits the HR division to shortly and simply choose candidates for the following stage of the interview course of. By showcasing his character and pure reactions in a video CV, a candidate can spotlight his skills and expertise in a manner that’s much like a private presentation.
Video CVs are usually not but extraordinarily widespread, nor are they beneath a lot lively analysis. Nevertheless, it may be thought-about a useful gizmo for a scholar’s self-promotion within the labor market.
Rushan Ziatdinov (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a professor within the Division of Industrial Engineering at Keimyung College, Daegu.